Thursday, May 1, 2014

Things that make me nervous: Professional E-Mails

I won't deny this: I can be a bit of a panic sometimes. I have a tendency to overthink things a lot, and I'm usually a worst-case scenario kind of girl. In my defense, I've been in some pretty strange situations.

When I was little I had a very overactive imagination. I'd think to myself "What if the whole floor was just covered in bugs right now that'd be so scary hahaHAHA". And then my mom would find me perched on the highest thing I could climb freaking out about the concept of bugs being everywhere.

That was a weird tangent that's left me freaking out about bugs, when this post is supposed to be about e-mail etiquette, which literally always sets me in a panic. Is there a science for how to write e-mails? Let me just say, if someone wrote a guidebook on when and how to write a follow-up, they'd probably make a lot of money provided they're marketed properly.

Now of course it's different when you know the person, or the e-mails are casual and quick. My friend sent me a message of a file and I replied with "ya' beautiful". But when I get messages from like, potential internship opportunities, or professors, the pressure is on at a level beyond that of a surgeon. In this moment, I have to use my mind grapes to place words in an order that sounds like a casual professionalism. If you've read these blog posts you'll know I've got the casual down, but the professionalism not so much. 

"Should I address them by their first name? Or maybe I should go professional. How do I sign this e-mail? "Hugs and Butterfly Kisses" won't cut it in this situation. Oh god how long has it been since they sent this e-mail? When should I follow up? Do I follow up the follow up? Wait, should I thank them for thanking me for thanking them? WHY IS THIS HAPPENING." -Actual Thought Process when receiving emails.
This picture really speaks to me.


It's weird too because, I think in about 90% of the time, I would never speak with such careful consideration and maturity to whomever I'm writing to if it were in person. And they wouldn't speak to me this way either. Maybe one day I'll try speaking ONLY in professional follow-up tone, I bet I'd make a lot of friends that way.

I could probably write an entire paper on this topic. But not an e-mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment